THE SOCIAL IMPACT OF BEAUTY
Can a beautiful face have any social repercussions? The truth is it can, and although many prefer to think the opposite, there is abundant scientific literature proving it. According to “A Systematic Review” by Sala and Collaborators (2013), there is an important difference between the salary of more beautiful people compared to those who are less graceful. The more attractive people are the more self-assured. Other people get closer to them, which increases their confidence.
In addition, in job interviews beautiful people are chosen earlier than the less attractive, even though the interviewers deny it. Furthermore, attractive people are considered smarter, friendlier and better persons than people who are not. Also, as noted by Belot and Collaborators (2012), ungrateful people are more likely to suffer from discrimination, psychological problems such as depression and anxiety, as well as poor academic performance.
These social injustices have been faced since the beginning of cosmetic surgery, although there is still a long way to go.
MY POINT OF VIEW
Since I was a child I always had a close relationship with art and beauty. For me, to paint and to draw all sorts of beautiful things and beings has been a way of expressing myself, but I have always felt a predilection towards the portrait. The beauty expressed in the faces of people goes beyond some outdated and rigid aesthetic canons, and its projection on a canvas requires attention to detail as well as a taste for harmony. Since I started my medical studies, I wanted to direct my artistic passion towards surgery. Facial Aesthetic Surgery was adapted as a glove in hand to my expectations.
Although several surgical specialties can mold the face in an aesthetic sense, only the Skull-Maxillo-Facial Surgery gets spectacular results. In addition to acting on the skin, fat and muscle, Maxillofacial Surgery acts on the skeletal bone, which is the basis for a face to have a profile, contour and unique characteristics. Art expressed in the form of a surgery therefore requires artistic skills, surgical skills and a great scientific knowledge. If a surgeon cannot shape well in a drawing whatever he wants to obtain, he will hardly achieve an aesthetic result in a real body. Excessively false results, with an obvious “operated” appearance, too stretched faces and other blunders show the little artistic sensitivity of some famous surgeons.
It is also very important to be able to work in a stress-free surgical environment, dedicating to the patient all the time it takes to make the result as perfect as possible. Stress is an enemy of art and details do not understand haste.
The quest for excellence in cosmetic surgery starts with a constant updating of knowledge, exquisite patient care, empathy and compression, good treatment, rigorous follow-up and a true love of art and beauty.
SPECIALTY, ASSOCIATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
Dr. Joan San Miguel Moragas
- Specialist in Facial and Maxillary Surgery in Navarra Hospital Center (CHC).
- European Fellowship in Facial Cosmetic Surgery at University Hospital Brussels (UZ Brussels) with Dr Maurice Mommaerts.
- Bachelor of Medicine from the University of Barcelona (UB), Collegiate Barcelona Medical Association (COMB) No. 39345 and doctor approved to practice in Belgium, No. 1.99123.18.000
- Degree in Dentistry from the Universidad Europea de Madrid (UEM)
- C. effected PhD at the University of Navarra (UNAV)
- Member of the board of the Catalan-Balearic Society of Cirurgia Maxil.lofacial (SCBCMF)
- Member of the European Association of Cranio-Maxillofacial Surgery (EACMFS)
- Member of the Spanish Society of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (SECOM)
- Member of the Spanish Society for the Advancement of Critic Thinking (ARP-SAPC)
- Member of the European Association of Facial Plastic Surgery (EAFPS)
- European Fellowship in Facial Cosmetic Surgery, held from October 1st 2012 to September 30th 2013, with Prof Dr Maurice Mommaerts in European Face Center, Brussels and Orthoface, Sint-Martens Latem, Belgium.
- Traineeship in orthognathic surgery, conducted from October 1st 2012 until September 30th 2013 in European Face Center, Universitair Ziekenhuis, Brussels, Belgium.
- Fellowship in Institut Vila-Rovira, in Teknon Medical Center, Barcelona, with Dr. Ramón Vila-Rovira (specialist in hair transplant) from September 1st to 30th, 2012.
- Fellowship in European Face Center, Hospital UZ (Universtiair Ziekenhuis) Brussels, with Prof. Dr Maurice Mommaerts as department head, from July the 3rd to 27th, 2012.
- Traineeship in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Centro Hospitalario de Navarra, from May 2007 to May 2012.
- Fellowship at Institute of Maxillofacial Surgery, Teknon Medical Center, Barcelona, with Dr. F. Hernández Alfaro from November 1st to 30th, 2011
- Dental emergencies and basic dental practice in University Hospital of European University in Madrid from August 1st 2011 to September 15th 2011.
- Fellowship at the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at AZ Sint- Jan, Brugge Hospital, Belgium with Dr LeClercq and team, from March 1st 2011 to April 17th 2011
- Fellowship in the Plastic Surgery Service of Hospital De Navarra, Pamplona, from August 29th 2010 to October 15th 2010.
- Fellowship at the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Service of Vall D’ Hebron Hospital in Barcelona, with Dr. Raspall and team, from March to May 2010.
- Fellowship at the Rhinology Otolaryngology Unit in Hospital De Navarra, Pamplona, from June 1st to 30th, 2009.
- Fellowship in Intensive Care at the Hospital De Navarra, Pamplona, from April 1st to 30th, 2008.
- Fellowship in General Surgery, Section of Thyroid and hospital complex of Navarra, Pamplona Bariatric Surgery, from June 1st 2007 to March 30th 2008.
- Emergency Medicine at Virgen del Camino Hospital, Pamplona, from July 4th 2007 to May 28th 2008.
- First assistant for Surgeons Surgical Associates, SCP, during the month of June 2006.
- First and second operating room assistant Dr. Enrique Bassas Mercader, Plastic and Aesthetic Surgeon at Barcelona Clinic Teknon, from January 2002 to December 2005.
- First author in the article “A systematic review on soft-to-hard tissue ratios in orthognathic surgery part i: Maxillary repositioning osteotomy” Journal of Cranio-Maxillo-Facial Surgery (2014), doi: 10.1016/j.jcms.2014.03.024. Order of authors: San Miguel Moragas J, Van Cauteren W, Mommaerts MY.
- First author in the article “Non -filling ” Procedures for lip augmentation : A systematic review of contemporary techniques and Their outcomes , published in the Journal of Cranio – Maxillofacial Surgery ( 2014) , doi : 10.1016/j.jcms.2014.01.015 . Order of Authors: Moragas JSM, Vercruysse HJ, MY Mommaerts.
- Senior author of the drawings and the two volumes cover of the book “The art of facial surgical makeover . A comprehensive guide to orthofacial surgery . Yves Maurice Mommaerts ..© 2013 . Orthoface R & D GCV , Sint- Martems -Latem , Belgium . ISBN 9789080776524 . Printed in Belgium. Production: BAI.
- Author of Chapter 3 in “Anesthesia in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery” in the book “Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery” by book by Rafael Martín and Antonio López Davis. 3rd Ed. Pan, 2012. EAN: 9788498352719.
- Coauthor of “Cleft Lip and Cleft Palate: A Guide for Parents”, Navarra Health Service, Department of Social Affairs, Family, Youth and Sport. Government of Navarra. 2011.
- Author and speaker of oral communication “Software pathway simulation of orthognathic and aesthetic facial surgical Procedures: Preliminary results”. Presented at the Belgian National Congress of Maxillofacial Surgery, held in Zaventem, Belgium, November 16th 2013.
- Member of the organizing committee (as a speaker and instructor) in the “Brussels Athomium Orthognathic Course” (BOAC) which took place at the European Face Centre, Universitair Ziekenhuis, Brussels, Belgium, from August 5th 2013 to August 9th 2013.
- Author and speaker of oral communication “Systematic review of lip augmentation procedures unfilled by art, efficacy and complications”, presented during the 22nd Spanish National Conference of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, held in Cordoba from June 5th to 7th 2013.
- Coauthor and speaker of oral communication “Soft tissue changes after orthognathic surgery: a systematic review” presented during the 22nd Spanish National Conference of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, held in Cordoba from June 5th to 7th 2013.
- Coauthor of oral communication “Long-term results of the use of iliac crest free flap for reconstruction of mandibular osteonecrosis due to bisphosphonates in stage III” during the 22nd Spanish National Conference of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, held in Cordoba from June 5th to 7th 2013.
- Coauthor of the poster “Heelkundige correctie van dysmorfie faciale, type lang gezicht” for the Huis voor Gezondheid Worden Arts Congress held in Brussels on November 10th 2012.
- Coauthor of the poster “Chirurgische aanpak go faciale dysmorphologie van het Stickler Syndroom” for the Huis voor Gezondheid Worden Arts Congress held in Brussels on November 10th 2012.
- Author of the poster “Arteritis of the facial artery” for the 21st Spanish National Congress of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, which took place in Valladolid from June 8th to 10th, 2011.
- Author of the poster “By intraorlal resection via elongated styloid process” for the 13th Congress of Oral Surgery and Implantology, held from June 2nd to 4th, 2010.
- Coauthor of the poster “Invasive rhinosinusal mucornicosis” for the 13th Congress of Oral Surgery and Implantology, held from June 2nd to 4th, 2010.
- Coauthor of the poster “Pathological fracture in a patient with atrophic mandible after implant placement Sinfisarios” for the 12th Congress of Oral Surgery and Implantology, held from May 21st to 23rd, 2008.
- Coauthor of the poster “Frequently Surgical Complications in Implant” for the 12th Congress of Oral Surgery and Implantology, held from May 21st to 23rd, 2008.
CONGRESSES AND COURSES
- Lecturer in Barcelona Orthodonthic VIII Meeting, entitled “Aesthetic Effects of maxillary expansion: what we know today” held at the Col.legi Oficial d’Eestomatòlegs de Catalunya (Barcelona ) on February 13th to 15th, 2014.
- Excellence in Rhinoplasty Course, held at the University of Leuven (Belgium), March 19th to 21st, 2014.
- Upper Eyelid Blepharoplasty Course held at Rode Kruis Ziekenhuis Hospital (Netherlands) on March 3rd 2014.
- Meets Ortho Surgery Conference, held in Brussels on December 15th 2013.
- Belgian National Congress “Herfst-vergadering, Kininklijke Belgische Vereniging voor Stomatologie und Maxillo-faciale Heelkunde” held in Zaventem, Belgium, November 16, 2013.
- Spanish National Congress of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery held in Córdoba from June 5th to 7th, 2013.
- Winter course of Catalano -Balearic Maxillofacial Surgery Society , held in Soldeu el Tarter, Andorra, March 8th and 9th, 2013.
- Belgian National Congress “Herfst-vergadering, Kininklijke Belgische Vereniging voor Stomatologie und Maxillo-faciale Heelkunde” held in Namur, Belgium, November 16th and 17th, 2012.
- OSAS Symposium, held in Brussels on October 12th 2012.
- Winter days in the Catalano-Balearic Maxillofacial Surgery Society held April 3rd and 4th, 2012 in La Torre del Remei, Bolvir, Spain, titled “Orthognathic Surgery: What’s New”.
- 2nd Congress of Regeneration and Rehabilitation, MIS Ibérica, held in Barcelona November 18th and 19th, 2011.
- 21st National Congress of oral and maxillofacial surgery, which took place in Valladolid from June 8th to 10th, 2011; as the author of the poster “Arteritis of the facial artery”.
- 13th Congress of Oral Surgery and Implantology, held in Pamplona on June 2nd to 4th, 2010.
- 20th national congress of oral surgery and Maxilofacal, held in Bilbao from May 13th to 15th, 2009, as coauthor of the posters “Applications of Medical History computerized service center oral and maxillofacial surgery” and “Approach and maintenance of difficult airway in oral and maxillofacial surgery”.
- 12th Congress of Oral Surgery and Implantology held in Santiago de Compostela May 21st to 23rd, 2008, as coauthor of the posters “Pathological fracture in a patient with atrophic mandible after implant placement Sinfisarios” and “Frequently Surgical Complications in Implantology”.
- Course in Emergency ENT, held in Pamplona November 21st and 22nd 2007.
- Basic Course on Radiological Protection (3rd Edition) held in Pamplona on April 7th to 9th, 2008.
- Communication Course and clinical interview (1st edition) held in Pamplona on April 27th and 28th, 2009.
- Course sialoendoscopy: teroría and practice, held on April 29th and 30th, 2010 at Hospital Vall d’ Hebron Univarsitari, Barcelona.
- Workshop about Pre-surgical Planning in Orthognathic Surgery, Hospital De Navarra, Pamplona, held February 24th and 25th, 2011.
- Management Workshop Conflict sen ethical practice clinic, which took place in Pamplona, on October 2nd 2011.
- Conference ” Perio- implantologic integration with Zirconium – Titanium technology” presented by Dr Régis Negre in Madrid on January 24th 2009.
- Update Seminars in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Hospital De Navarra, Pamplona, held from February 24th to March 24th, 2010.
- Update Seminars in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Hospital De Navarra, Pamplona, held from February 4th to April 1st, 2009.
- Update Seminars in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Hospital De Navarra, Pamplona, held from October 22nd to December 10th, 2008.